Serving our community since 1951
Beverley Longcroft County Secondary School, now known as Longcroft School and Sixth Form College, was officially opened on Wednesday 9th May 1951. What follows are extracts from documents published at the time of the opening:
The building of the first of two new secondary schools began in 1948. It was originally hoped to bring the residence, Longcroft Hall, into use as an interim school for the 14-15 age group but events determined otherwise. The St. Mary's boy's School was destroyed overnight by fire, and the pupils had to be hurriedly transferred into Longcroft Hall.
This meant that an instalment of the new secondary school had to be completed as quickly as possible, and in September 1949, this part of the very incomplete Beverley Longcroft County Secondary School was occupied by boys and girls for their last year of school life. This doubtless caused considerable inconvenience to the architect and builders, but it gave the boys and girls from Beverley and surrounding villages a taste of modern secondary education which they would otherwise never have enjoyed.
This school which is being officially opened to-day is the first of the two new secondary schools which are needed to support boys and girls from Beverley and the surrounding villages. All children will have the opportunity of a general education according to a common curriculum up to the age of thirteen or fourteen years, after which more specialist technical courses will develop. It is expected that children taking the technical courses, together with a minority of the others, will continue at school long enough for a sound Sixth Form to be developed.