Beverley Longcroft County Secondary School, now known as Longcroft School and Sixth Form College, was officially opened on Wednesday 9th May 1951. What follows are extracts from documents published at the time of the opening:
The building of the first of two new secondary schools began in 1948. It was originally hoped to bring the residence, Longcroft Hall, into use as an interim school for the 14-15 age group which could not be housed in the local schools, but events determined otherwise. The St. Mary's boy's School was destroyed overnight by fire, and the pupils had to be hurriedly transferred into Longcroft Hall.
This meant that an instalment of the new secondary school had to be completed as quickly as possible, and in September 1949, this part of the very incomplete Beverley Longcroft County Secondary School was occupied by boys and girls for their last year of school life. This doubtless caused considerable inconvenience to the architect and builders, but it gave the boys and girls from Beverley and surrounding villages a taste of modern secondary education which they would otherwise never have enjoyed.
This school which is being officially opened to-day is the first of the two new secondary schools which are needed to provide boys and girls from Beverley and the surrounding villages with opportunities for enjoying the forms of secondary education for which they are suited. Those pupils whose needs are likely to be met by receiving a grammar school education will continue to attend the Beverley Grammar School and the Beverley High School for Girls.
Those who need what current educational jargon describes as a "secondary modern" education or a "secondary technical" schooling will have the opportunity of exercising their choice in this new Beverley Longcroft County Secondary School. It is hoped that transfer as between this new school and the older grammar schools will afford some opportunity of correcting the mistakes in selection which must inevitably occur in any system which attempts to sort out large numbers of children into educational categories at the age of eleven. The new school has been provided with sound physical amenities and a staffing ratio equal to that of the grammar schools in the town. No class will have more than thirty pupils in it.
All children will have the opportunity of a general education according to a common curriculum up to the age of thirteen or fourteen years, after which more specialist technical courses will develop. It is expected that children taking the technical courses, together with a minority of the others, will continue at school long enough for a sound Sixth Form to be developed.
In this first of the two Beverley Longcroft County Secondary Schools, where most of the pupils will come from the town itself, the technical courses mill be related particularly to industry and commerce. The second secondary school, which is to be built at some future date, will provide more for the needs of pupils whose future occupations are likely to be those of the countryside. As, however, a proportion of the pupils at this first school are likely to enter agricultural and allied occupations, rural science will also occupy an important place in the curriculum.